PDA

View Full Version : Tackle Guard

bj
21-10-2003, 03:20 PM
I've been useing Tackle Guard on my reels and Rods over the last couple of years and found it a good product.I bought a few cans on special at around $9.I've just used the last can and when I went to buy more was shocked at the cost of it $14.
They say that W.D.40 , R.P.7 etc is not good for fishing line.How would lanolin or similar product be ?
I used to wipe a coat of baby oil over my rods and that seemed to keep them in good condition.Good gear is not cheap.The Shimano instruction booklet that comes with some of the reels said that W.D.40 etc is what to use but wouldn't that penetrate into the factory lubrication and dissolve it? What do others think.

Big_Muddie
21-10-2003, 04:13 PM
G'day bj.

I use Inox on all my gear.

It's a non-petroleum based product that doesn't dissolve other lubricants, it doesn't build up (Lanonlin based products will over time), it's harmless to all types of line (half of my reels are spooled with Fireline and the other half with Platypus mono and there has been no noticeable effect (I've been using it on fireline for over 2 years now - fireline is still the original).

I used to use WD40 but steered away from that when I heard reports of it's dissolving reel grease and affecting lines. #Although I did not notice any effect on my line, I did have one or 2 reels that suffered from some sludgey type mixture in the reel housing - that did cause some problems for me.

You can find more info on Inox here http://www.inox-mx3.com/home.htm

Not sure of the price now but I think it's still around the $9-$10 mark.