PDA

View Full Version : Barra Rod Setup Help Needed

mickgibbo
22-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Hello all,

Im setting up a rod to go up north with at the end of the year. I have a 253cv-z Diawa Millionare that Im going to put on a Shimano Ian Miller.

Im after a big Barra and Plan on putting Spider line or Fire Line on it, My question what weight line should I use on this combo.

Zeeke
22-10-2003, 08:27 AM
14lb Fireline i would recommend, its tought as ducks nuts yet only has the thickness of around 6lb line, and being fireline, snaps at a higher rate then they advertise, 14lb is really about 20lb, so thats what id recommend

Tim

clutter
22-10-2003, 04:46 PM
On my rigs I use 20lb and 30lb Bionic Braid. Depends where you are fishing for them and how many lures you are prepared to loose.

Cheers, Clutter

mickgibbo
22-10-2003, 04:59 PM
So the lighter the line the more lures you will lose, is this due to fish or snags??

dexx
22-10-2003, 05:03 PM
get a 'tackle back'

it's like a big piece of weight you can hang on your line when you get a snag and it'll release the lure when you flick it.

just hope you dun get into any other snags on the way retrieving the lure and the weight.

err than i guess you can get two 'tackle backs' or three or four or 5.

actually 3 might snap your line, as they're quite heavy....

PG
27-10-2003, 09:45 AM
mick, I have 14 lb fireline on a Wilson Live Fibre rod and I think I'm in love all over again. I was out this morning at a lagoon and pulled up 2 fish around 60cm mark very easily. BUT after reading the freshwater section on Peter Faust dam I'm a bit apprehensive. These guys were getting busted up on 30lb fireline and some even on 50lb but like clutter says, depends on where you're fishing. I've caught big barra on 10 lb line in a lagoon where there was no snags but if there's structure/trees around I'd suggest going heavier. Check out the Peter faust chat and you'll see what I mean.
Cheers mate.

corza85
27-10-2003, 02:59 PM
on my 2 boat rods i have 20pound super braid and on the other i have 30 pound fire line and i found or casting lures the braid was a lot easier but i also found the fireline to be a lot better quallity line. so if u r going to be using mostly bait i would suggest at least 20 pound fireline and if u r going to be using mostly lures i would go the braid but i would still say at least 20 pound no matter what u choose.

clutter
27-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Mick,

Like Paul said, it all depends where you are fishing. If its tight and snaggy you'll need at least 20-30lb, Faust is a great example of this. If its open water, lower would be ok. I still fish minimum 20lb though.

Clutter

mickgibbo
27-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all the replys it has made it far easier to set my new combo up

corza85
28-10-2003, 03:26 PM
no worries mick... i am happy to help out anytime i can and i am sure that everyone else on the board will also help out whenever possible with out thinking twice...

cheers.................corza