PDA

View Full Version : what gear do i need? i'm new to beach fishing

uk_dabbler
02-12-2003, 09:40 PM
i'm visiting the Australian East Coast for a month this Christmas and want to get into beach fishing seeing as we'll be camping by the beach almost the whole time...fantastic!

My experience however is in UK freshater fishing, so i don't even know the basics of what sea reels do what!!

Can anyone please lend me any guidence on what set up i should go for, bearing in mind i'd like to carry on using the gear back in english waters afterwards.

I see 'Alvey' reels talked about a lot but the design and required technique is quite alien to me. Do they free run all the time like a fly reel might? if so does this mean you need to hold them continually waiting for a bite?

The reels i see being used in the uk are the 'multiplier' shape that i think sit ontop of the rod...are they a better option?

I would also benefit greatly with some layman's advice on how to set up surf rigs too....

any advice would be greatly appreciated,

thanks in advace,
uk dabbler

Gorilla_in_Manila
03-12-2003, 05:44 AM
uk dabbler,

First of all, the most important thing about beach fishing on the Aussie East Coast, is that you never mention the Rugby, or that little smart arse, Jonny without a "h". ;D

The two main differences to what you have been used to, will be that 1. you are going to get sand and salt through absolutely everything and that 2. there are going to be waves.

The alvey reels you have heard of are extremely popular for beach fishing because they are so simple and robust. I don't know of any other reel (except maybe a handline) that handles salt and sand as well with a minimum of care, cleaning and maintenance. Depending on how much you want to spend, the reels come with anti reverse, a ratchet, drags and even two speed recovery. The larger diameters, 6 inch + will give you better leverage for winching in fish and a faster recovery rate. The thing you will need to get used to is the line that seemingly flies off in all directions when you cast as it peels sideways off the large diameter of the spool. The reel mounts right down near the butt of the rod, the line is trapped with your back hand when casting and you will have to keep your top fingers tightly clenched around the rod so they don't catch the line flapping about during the cast. The line will tend to develop twist as you repeatedly cast since it comes of the side of the reel and goid back on straight. This will mean good swivels and possible 2 on you tackle, and occassionally running the line off you reel and respooling it to get the twists out. Good, simple easily maintained reels.

You will need a long rod; 12 to 14 ft to give you good casting distance and to keep the line up out of the waves at the beach edge. It will have to suit the type of reel you are using. If you go with the alvey the mount will be right down near the butt and it will need a very large diameter first runner about halfway up the rod to get the line back under control during the cast. The shop staff where you buy it should set you straight on this.

Check out the hints and tips section on this website, and you will have all the basics for rigs, tackle, bait and target species.

This should get you started, and fishing bait and tackle shop owners in aus should help you progressively with more.

Good Luck,
Cheers,
Jeff
PS be very very careful if you think you want to try rock fishing. It can be extremely dangerous and regularly kills even experienced fishermen. Best you go with someone with experience. What out for things that eat or bite you as well.

neptune
03-12-2003, 06:31 AM
"the line is trapped with your back hand when casting", I agree with everything you said gorilla except the above statement.

Gorilla_in_Manila
03-12-2003, 07:02 AM
Neptune,
BINGO ;D Give that man a prize! ;)
Read bottom hand. Back hand if the tip of the rod is considered the front.
Back hand when the rods out in front of you, perhaps.
Should read "line is trapped with the hand nearest to the butt of the rod".
Sh!t hey, someone actually read something I wrote! ;D
Cheers
Jeff

neptune
03-12-2003, 09:34 AM
Sorry Gorilla, I still don't agree, probably just that time of year. I trap the line with my top hand(right) on the hypalon above the reel and my bottom hand(left) is on the butt.

Gorilla_in_Manila
03-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Ok, lets try this:

I personally trap the line with the hand nearest to the butt end of the rod by crooking a finger over it near where it comes off the reel, and cast with my other hand further up the rod toward the tip from where the reel is located; however it is done differently by others and you could try various methods and find the one you are most comfortable with.

Strike
03-12-2003, 02:34 PM
i guess it depends whether your left or right handed??

i trap the line on top of the reel with my left thumb and cast with my right hand and hold the rod probly where the foam covering ends...

but yeah you pretty much cant wreck alveys... whenever the rod/reel has gotten sand in it ive just dumped the thing in salt water to wash it off.. all i do is give it a rinse with fresh water when i get home and she works like new the next time.... hopefully :D

uk_dabbler
03-12-2003, 04:29 PM
thanks fellas....really appreciate the advice.

but just so i'm clear on the Alvey reels...when casting, is it like on a fly reel where the line is trapped by nothing else than your finger or thumb when casting...(which ever hand you're using!)

what i can't imagine is how to do that with so much weight on the line?

And once you've cast and want to put the rod down (if you put the rod down?) how do you 'lock' the reel? is it a case of tightening up the drag?

Also, r.e. rigs, those that i've seen described so far for Aussie surf seem like they use much less weight than UK stlye...which i'd have imagined to be the other way around. From what i've seen UK rigs apear to use bigger leads with wires and spikes sticking out of them etc.

cheers,

(still not mentioning the rugby :))

Derek Bullock
03-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Hey guys

We have it right here on the good old Ausfish Site. #The casting instructions for an Alvey. There is even a video you can download.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/alvey/10.htm

Cheers

Derek

uk_dabbler
03-12-2003, 05:47 PM
i saw the instructions thanks Derek...they sugest that you do take all the weight of the rig on one finger and after casting you then need to hold the rod and line to feel for bites...is that correct?

mackmauler
03-12-2003, 05:53 PM
UK, youll feel right at home on fraser island, said hi to a few of your mates the other day when the bus broke down :P yes you have the method down pat, more alveys on fraser than any other reels so help wont be far away ;D

Gorilla_in_Manila
03-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Uk,
If you are new to surf fishing (and in aus), rule no 1 is throw it when and where you might get fish, not throw it a mile. The tips on this website will help you to know that, and advice from the tackle shop guys will help you locally where to throw it. A short cast in the right place, with the right bait and tackle, will get you much more fish than trying to hit New Zealand with every throw.

I have read a web site that sounds like you UK lads are right into throwing your line 1000km out to sea. All the clips and systems you have to get the streamlined bait behind the sinker; hey great if you want to try to hit France on your cast. Seems like most use overhead reels there mounted a long way up the length from the butt. That's why I was trying to explain the different casting procedure for an Alvey.

As well as the other fellow's advice earlier, you will have to practice first, and find your own method. As far as what to do after you can chuck it, as I said before, some Alvey reels have a anti reverse, ratchet and drag if you want. You will be ok lobbing your bait out and leaving it in a rod holder if you are happy with the fish you get from fishing like that. They are not like a fly reel unless you buy the most basic one they make. There is a link on this site to Alvey, surely they show what is available and what features the reels have.

If as you said, you are new to the game. Spend a bit of time practicing casting (whatever rod and reel you end up getting) on a beach away from others with just some lead on the end. You will find the other fishermen on the beach a lot more friendly and willing to give you some advice if you aren't throwing over their lines or hitting them in the head with a sinker.

Cheers
Jeff

PS dont listen to mackmauler, he is obviously as "toey as a Roman sandle" and is getting excited about all the young backpacker EU girls that seem to be ubiquitous on Fraser Island nowadays.
Mackmauler,
Hope you got the standard 6 pack for pulling them out, and they didn't drive over your brand new snatch strap and wrap it around their front diff ....... as they do.
Or maybe you are wiser than me and just had a chat and pretended you didn't have anything to pull them out with. ;D ;D ;D

uk_dabbler
03-12-2003, 11:44 PM
cheers...think i'm getting a little over excited by the whole prospect and want to know everything i can asap...but you're right Gorilla, best i get the kit and get practising when i'm on the beach...pretty hard to theorise what's involved sat behind this desk!!!

so i'm going for an Alvey and plenty of local knowledge ;D

thanks for your help.

ps...last time i was on Fraser Island we ended up rescuing a few tourist laden landcruisers ourselves with the LWB Landy we had...tried a bit on beach fishing then but the only kit we had was what we'd been using out of boats in Cairns and we couldn't clear the surf or stay in it with the sinkers we had...

uk_dabbler
03-12-2003, 11:47 PM
ahh forgot to ask....know any recomended tackle shops in Brisbane for me to get my kit? I'm staying my first night in the centre of town and heading north the next day...

cheers

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-12-2003, 11:51 AM
i saw the instructions ... and after casting you then need to hold the rod and line to feel for bites...is that correct?

[smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

oh please - enough - my sides are starting to hurt !!!

its not that hard. If you can fly-fish, you'll be able to cast an alvey - just imagine the stripping hand instead of holding the line wide of the reel, simply pins it on the reel (with no loose line on ground of course) & releases it at the point of maximum pressure of a single cast. When you buy an alvey the instructions are in the box - with pictures & all. Make sure you pin the line on the reel with the hand closest to the rod butt & have the other hand about 60cm toward the rod tip from the reel seat or else you will look like a girlie :-X & only do 20m casts.

The hardest thing most novices find is to ensure you wind the line back on firmly & evenly passing it thru your index & middle finger (like holding a smoke) to achieve the tension.

Tackle Shops - there's one on Milton Rd just near Lang Park (Suncorp Stadium) that's fairly close to the city. Or there's the Tackle Warehouse on Old Cleveland Rd Coorparoo about 15mins outside the CBD southside for a wider range of rods & reels.

I'd go tackle warehouse - they will outfit well & load the reel for you - & their range means you'll get it all in one spot.

seeyainthesurf,

chris

Gorilla_in_Manila
04-12-2003, 12:16 PM
The hardest thing most novices find is to ensure you wind the line back on firmly & evenly passing it thru your index & middle finger (like holding a smoke) to achieve the tension.

chris

What did you tell him that for! How's he going to learn what a "bunch of grapes" is, if you give everything away at the start. ;) ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-12-2003, 02:24 PM
you'll notice Mr Gorilla I failed to mention the need in the surf for a particular "cod conservation device" or rod bucket - I think the English refer to them as Bullocks perhaps -

Some nice rashes & bruises in the lower abdominal area of a lilly white tourist should act as revenge for that damn Rugby thing.

chris

ps oh that's right - its just a game !!!

uk_dabbler
05-12-2003, 06:42 PM
thanks!

ps. do those rashes and bruises normally look red and white in a kind of rose shape?

imported_admin
06-12-2003, 06:37 AM
uk_dabbler

If you are only going to be in Australia for a month and need to buy gear for surf fishing you would be better off buying 2 piece rods. As you will be looking at rods of about 13' to 14' 6" you will have a hard time getting them on the plane and home in one piece.

I would suggest you have a look at the Magagraphite Surf Whitetip 136, 13foot 6 inch (4.2m) rod and match it with a 6500BCV or 6500BCVRR
They are at http://www.ausfish.com.au/alvey/4.htm & http://www.ausfish.com.au/alvey/13.htm if you wish to order them.

If you only need gear for a few weeks I can lend you some of mine if you like. Waders, beach seat, rods, reels, etc. Just let me know.

jaybee
06-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Steve i reckon everyone on this board should get behind you and nominate you for Australian of the year. your heart is as big as this site. AND THATS HUGE ;D
cheers
Joe.

Gorilla_in_Manila
06-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Yep, too right jaybee.
Even after that rose shaped bruises comment, Steve still offers to lend gear. :D
Better hope Uk doesn't turn up in a rented troopie with the rest of the soccer team looking to get kitted out. ;D
Cheers,
Jeff

jaybee
06-12-2003, 10:47 AM
Wont go there after losing the cup to England eh :'(

uk_dabbler
06-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Thanks Steve, that's a really really great offer! I'd hate to risk trashing your gear, but i'd really appreciate taking you up on some advice if were around. Where abouts you based?

imported_admin
07-12-2003, 05:28 AM
UK

Am about 20mins drive south of the city. Contact details on home page http://www.ausfish.com.au

No risk of trashing the gear, pretty hard to kill an Alvey, if I can't kill them no one can ;D