PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Sticks they are as good as the ads!

deb
29-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Gotta give these a wrap :D
Santa was very kind to all this Christmas and yesterday, in the storms, rain humidity and everything else, we went out and used them.
I cannot believe the difference in rods 8) Soft, touchy, improved casting out of sight :o and made turning around three grunters soooooo easy. For a off the shelf rod, I really think it is worth pestering Santa ;D

Reefmaster
29-12-2003, 11:21 AM
hey dreamdays
nice Xmas present and good to see you have allready been out and caught fish on it
I also have an ugly stick and dont mind using it as well. For what there worth there a good rod. The only thing that turns me off them and others is the weight of the rod. They tend to weigh alot more then other rods and if you are throwing lures all day or a week long trip they can tend to give you a dead arm. But still i think there a great rod and have caught me fish from bream to good cobia.
Cheers Greg

aquarius
29-12-2003, 12:32 PM
yep i have 4 ugly stiks and they are as good as the adds say. :) :
Santa knows what fishing is all about Dreamdays.
Cheers Brent ;D

Big_Kev
29-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Santa fishes hard.( I am sure of it.)
Cheers Kev.

nofrills
29-12-2003, 06:06 PM
your dead right kev

santa actually uses an ugly stick himself.as we all know he lives at the north pole and his tecknique calls for a serious rod.what he does is cut a round hole in the ice and sprinkle peas on top of the water.

when a big fish comes up for a pee he hits em fair up the icehole ;D

Cloud_9
30-12-2003, 04:59 AM
yep the ugly stick is a great bait rod.
tuff as nails. i have 6Kg bait caster great for estury stuff.
if you want a good cheap ugly stick go to BIG W look for the UGLY STICK EMERALD.
under $100
my 6Kg B/caster $79 same rod at captian blighs $189. bindings are deferent colour. don't get the ugly 2000 range there cheap and nasty.

deb
30-12-2003, 06:01 AM
These are Ugly Stick Golds. The baitcaster is the 4-6kg with Bamax caster on it (too much time in Victoria!!) and the egg beater is a 4-8kg with a shimano 4000fh on it :)
Think the baitcaster might go to Bundy tomorrow, while I look at a couple of replacements for Dreamdays 8) 8)

Cloud_9
30-12-2003, 06:59 AM
mine is a tramp it has many reels that want to hop on .ive had a mitchel copper head on , a shimano corsair 200, pflueger trion, and ABU 7000 for jack trolling.
rod is 4-8Kg 5'6" long its a little heavy for lure casting, you get tired quick.

agnes_jack
30-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Sorry guys but
Ugly sticks have had their day.
They only feel good until you get a live fibre. ;D ;D ;D ;)

Regards Tony

matthewhill
31-12-2003, 04:01 PM
here here agnes jack ive replaced nearly all of my rods with live fibres. bewdiful!

CAPT._BLIGHS
01-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Quote: "i have 6Kg bait caster great for estury stuff.
if you want a good cheap ugly stick go to BIG W look for the UGLY STICK EMERALD.
under $100
my 6Kg B/caster $79 same rod at captian blighs $189. bindings are deferent colour. don't get the ugly 2000 range there cheap and nasty.

Mr Cloud9.
Hi, my name is Damien Colls,
the manager from Captain Blighs,
I was told about you message by one of my regular customers and this has led me to respond to your message.
The Ugly Stick "Emerarld" range is based/built on the Ugly Stick Gold series rods that are built in CHINA, these are below the 2000+ series,(which I stock), in features, (l/time warranty, Fuji guides, blank through handle design etc), against Ugly Stick GOLD (10yr Warranty, S/Spears howald process, not Ugly Sticks' original, non-blank through handle design) these rods also don't come with the LIFETIME warranty that all American or Australian built Ugly Sticks come with. If you wish to compare rods and prices I suggest that you may want to check out the features on your rod and the rod that you are quoting the prices of. You will see that the rod you looked at is a American or Australian Built rod. I use the analogy of buying a car, you can't compare a Holden Calias and a holden Barina because they are both produced by Holden, this appears that this is what you are trying to do?
The Emerald series is a chain store rod only and NO Pro-Tackle shop has access to them. We offer the Ugly Stick Gold, and my price on that rod is $109.99. I suggest that next time your interested in a rod you stop by my shop and talk to any one of my experienced staff and get the right product information before you bad mouth my store. Please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Regards
Damien Colls
Retail Manager
Capt. Blighs Tacklemart

Nugget
01-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Welcome to the Ausfish board Damien - and thanks for pointing out the difference between chain store and pro tackle store rods in this instance.

Unfortunately, consumers are often not aware of the difference in what look like identical rods - and the chain store retailer is not likely to tell potential customers the facts.

We'd appreciate your input in the future on gear related issues.

Dave ><>

aquarius
01-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Welcome to Ausfish Damo.....about time you got onto the best site around mate..lol.
Im sure you can offer some expert advice in the lastest in fishing tackle.
Your store has looked after me for the last ten years and i look forward to continue the friendship in 2004.
Happy New Year to you and staff.
Cheers Brent
;)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
01-01-2004, 03:13 PM
welcome Damo - best tackle shop in Logan & its smaller sister city Brisbane bar none !!!

... & well said.

chris

aido
01-01-2004, 04:45 PM
hi damien,
while your here, i'm looking for a 6-10 kg rod for an
eggbeater reel (penn 8500).
had a look at sports amart, they had an 8ft wilson m10 for $109.
i would really like a live fibre though.
what prices am i looking at if capt bligh gets the sale?

CHRIS_aka_GWH
01-01-2004, 04:49 PM
oh yeah,

& that cast net I bought off you guys 2 years ago just developed a BIG hole all by itself ... lol ;D ;D ;D ;)

deb
04-01-2004, 11:51 AM
So much fuss for a simple post :o
Cloud9 keep up your opinions, freedom of speech and swapping opinions with other fishos is the only way, everyone gets to see different angles on different topics.
Captain Bligh, in my opinion, I don't think much of your shop, I wasn't served when I wandered in looking to spend a considerable sum just before Santa, I had to ask your staff, and I promptly walked out when basic questions met a blank.
Top magazines like BnB and others, are about the only way anyone can get any information, even, if it is at times manufacturer sponsored.

webby
04-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Good to see Dreamdays, instead of everyone retreating when some tackle store pipes up, thinking they are the no alls of no alls, you spoke your peace.
As there are a few stores in this big city of ours, that are more interested in ripping you off and taking your money then trying to assist.
regards

jeffo
04-01-2004, 03:36 PM
http://www.pakula.com/marlin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1699&highlight=WET+BOAT
damo.. if you come back on this site you might wanna have a read of this thread on the pakula web site... and after reading it ask yourself "does that story ring a bell" ;D

Cloud_9
06-01-2004, 06:25 PM
gaday damien
the post was not intended to bag your tackle store but was used as comparasine,
at time i bought mine your price was $189 ( when i got the emerald ugly stik )
i know this because i was back on forth between the 2 stores before i bought.
i'm not saying your over priced ether but at that time that was the price.if the price is now cheaper thats great. i shop in you store all the time so why would i bag the place i wouldn't shop there if i thought i could get better somewhere else.
anyway the post was about are ugly stiks as good as they say!!

Jeremy
07-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Are Ugly Stiks as good as they say??...in my opinion NO. They tend to be heavy and also soft in the tip. Good for some types of fishing, and depending on the price they can be good value for money. Just realise, live fibre rods start from around $160, and custom built rods also from around $160.

Just depends on what you are using them for, how much you are spending etc.

I used to have an ugly stik gold gutts butt GB1800 (?) which I thought was great at the time, but if I still had it now, it would only be used for bait fishing now.

Jeremy

agnes_jack
07-01-2004, 04:52 AM
Cloud nine you seem to have missed the point!
Its the one that you bought the ugly stick emerald that is cheap and nasty, not the 2000 series. The 2000 series are a totally different rod with higher quality components and construction. You have purchased the most cheap and nasty series rod in the ugly stick range. They are made exclusively for chain stores such as K mart to catch the unwary. You can not compare them to the 2000 series in price or quality. It is not the same rod. Pro tackle stores are unable to purchase the emerald series, and wouldnt want to anyway. How can you compare the 2 and say the tackle shop one is $189 and the Kmart one exactly the same is only $79 ! ??? Sorry but you have been suckered by the chain store con and still dont realize it.

Tony ;) ;) ;)

jeffo
07-01-2004, 07:28 AM
i find it very amusing that damo goes to all the trouble to register with the site to back his shop up once and then never returns. never met the bloke so i am not judging him... just made me laugh. ;D

agnes_jack
07-01-2004, 08:24 AM
True enough Jeffo
I think that your last post and that link might have scared him off. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Regards Tony

jeffo
07-01-2004, 01:33 PM
;D just do what i can to help out tony ;D

Cloud_9
07-01-2004, 03:00 PM
funny enough i do know damiem he's a nice bloke. and my post was not to bag his shop.in the first place .
im happy with the stick that i bought, i think i got value for my dollar, we are talking 12 months ago here. like jeremy said i find mine is heavy too, but its a good (bait rod ) i've caught cod and queenies on it and find it works well.
again the post was about are the rods any good not bag the piss out of anyones tackle shop.

Cheers Cloud 9

aquarius
07-01-2004, 04:48 PM
I THINK ITS BEST NOT TO MENTION STORE NAMES ETC ON THIS SITE (MY OPINION ANYWAY)....I WAS TALKING TO DAMO A FEW DAYS AGO AND HE SAID HE WAS WAITING FOR CLOUD 9 TO REPLY TO HIS POST....IM SURE HE WILL BE BACK ON HERE AGAIN SOON GUYS.
HAVE TO AGREE WITH DREAMDAYS......3 PAGES ON HOW GOOD A FISHING ROD IS ???????
CHEERS BRENT ;D ;D

Bad_Bubby
09-01-2004, 05:00 PM
In response to the original question: are ugly stiks as good as the adds- I'd have to say yes. I own five Ugly Stiks and I enjoy using them although they are really designed for bait fishing. Forget buying them for lure casting, the fiberglass section of the rod will reduce accuracy, and the weight of the rod can be annoying for repeated casting. On the other hand they can be useful to absorb shock from braid, and for their durability (important when travelling).

Personally I think the 2000 series produced some excellent rods. I think that series covered a gap in the market that no other brands were tapping into. That is, it broke the all too common trend of producing general purpose style rods for the masses (like powersticks, and silstars do). Both the gold and 2000 series include some models that cover new ground in off-the-shelf travel rods like the OHD802, and BC562. When you also consider the work gone into bindings and inclusion of proper fuji accessories I think it is unfair to bag out Ugly Stiks.

The real problem is that stupid new trends in so called finesse fishing have motivated people to spool up all their reels with fireline and buy kilo upon kilo of soft plastics and other eye candy. Ugly Stiks cannot compete with proper lure casting rods (at least to the discerning eye) yet they are in everyone's faces as much as ever. This is the real reason why we are here questioning how good they are.

In response to the secondary topic regarding the emerald series, I'd have to agree with Agnes_Jack.

Big_Kev
10-01-2004, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't worry about it to much Jammie.
Wasn't what I would call a very proffesional response.
Your comments were fair play and all that needed to be done was steer yourself and us with the correct info.
Cheers Kev.

rainbear
11-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Not long ago rebuilt my umpteenth 20 year old Ugly Stick. They'll be used for another 20 years. Not as light not as comfy to use not as bloody expensive! I've got Ultragraphs, LiveFibres, and Stealth technology go fishing NT wharves for black jew using Ugly Sticks. When it comes down to it its not how expensive your rod is it's how good you are with your fingers.