PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota problems

basserman
20-12-2003, 03:02 PM
G'Day all
would like some advice if i could
today i was out on one of my faviote bream rivers my elect was going great guns with a full deep cycle batt.
But then as i move on to a new spot and put it back in the water i kicked it into gear and it worked for a split second then died in the arse
cheaked batt and lead all fine batt still had power
Any iders?
waiting till monday to see a mate that deals in them but thats a whole weekend of lure fishing gone never to come back again :( :( :( :'(

clutter
20-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Is it a foot control model. If it is, check the connection in the lead from the pedal. If you have a test light, go over it and find where the power is getting to and where not. Might just be a loose connection in the motor somewhere.

Clutter

basserman
20-12-2003, 05:17 PM
yeh going to test as much as i can tomorrow
it is a bow mount tiller steer riptide
good unit so far and have seen my fishing results improve 100 fold

Fitzy
20-12-2003, 05:23 PM
Agree with Clutter, check the foot control connection. Did you happen to try it with low power & move the slide up towards full? I had a hassle one night & found that by easing the power on it worked. Think the problem was some grit in the foot control slide. A clean up the next morning saw it working again perfectly & has never given me any trouble since. Better give it a clean again soon.

fitz..

basserman
20-12-2003, 05:34 PM
nah as i sayed fitzy its the bowmount tiller steer
i wish it was that simple
it is under a year old so still coverd by warrintie but just suck i can go fishing over the weekend
just need to go outside and try for a dollies or kingies i guess
::) lifes hard!

Zeeke
20-12-2003, 06:50 PM
sometimes the minnkotas have a habit of burning out there systems.. i know of a few that burnt out on there 2nd or third use.. but i still bought one.. you might be lucky tho and it might only be something simple, but MinnKota should fix you up within a couple of days if its nything major, they usually have a 5 day turn around

Tim

agnes_jack
21-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Basserman
Ive got a tiller steer riptide and once had trouble with it. It turned out to be a little bit of corrosion on 2 of the connector terminals. To fix it was just a matter of removing the screws from under the head, clean the terminals with a strip of fine sandpaper and give it a spray with wd40 or similar, quite easy to do once youve had a look. Hope that helps.
Tony ;)

basserman
23-12-2003, 10:20 AM
thanks tony and tim
i'm glad to hear there turn around isn't too long i have it in the shop now but next time i will cheak and see if it is what you say tony

aussiebasser
24-12-2003, 07:38 AM
I once had the power lead come off the spade terminal in the head of a 42lb Riptide tiller. All you need to do is undo a few phillips head screws to check this.
This is also a good reason to use a circuit breaker on them. If the positive wire had touched the earth wire after it came off, I could have had a very serious problem on my hands.

Brett_Finger
30-12-2003, 12:28 PM
NO COMMENT >:(

agnes_jack
30-12-2003, 01:38 PM
Brett
Why the no comment? Have we offended you? ??? ??? ;D

Tony ;D ;D ;D

Brett_Finger
30-12-2003, 02:36 PM
tony.
mate i have the curse of the Minn-Kota!!
i'll leave it at that.hehehehe
hookin,Brett :'(

JoeCool
30-12-2003, 03:20 PM
AHHHHH...Has your Kotta died??? :-X

stilltryin
30-12-2003, 05:23 PM
Got a 55 pound riptide tiller.had a bit of trouble with mine cutting out and not restarting, but someone pointed out the small pin hole under the head unit. seems to be a reset button. every now and then it still cuts out. I just poke a little tool I made up into the hole, hits the reset and away it goes again. No problems

basserman
01-01-2004, 10:45 AM
sound like minn kotas have a few problems
minnkota rep fro my area is a bit worried offerd to pick it up himself and take to the factory

landy1
05-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Must say i love mine esecially after it bought us home when my old disreputable OB died in the arse. ::) But seriously its never had a problem and dare i say it (its a fresh water model used in the salt) (no corrosion yet and going strong)
cheers
Mick

basserman
30-01-2004, 06:41 PM
happy to report (all be it late) THE KOTA IS FIXED! :D :D :D ended out to be a conection worked it self losses the techs said more than likey from driving over chop or from bouncing when driving down the roads!
but still LOOK out bass and bream i'm back in the game!