PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Catala

Mattman
29-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Hi everyone

I am looking at buying one of these reels soon and will use it primarily for bass and yellowbelly. Just wondering if anyone has one or has used one, if they are any good, and are they good value for money . Also what sort of rod would also go well with it.

Cheers, Matt

cHiCo
29-01-2004, 05:32 PM
One of my mates has one, beaut of a reel for casting lures for barra and jacks but and probably the same for bass and freshy species. Loaded with 20lb braid it casts a mile. Good value for money reel, not sure what rod hes got with it.

Daintreeboy
29-01-2004, 05:49 PM
I've checked these out before and they look OK. I ended up going with the cheaper Corsair and if I had my time over again, I'd probably look at the next one up from the Catala, the Calyx? They are a bit more in price but obviously better. I've also got a Calcutta which is top of the range for that style and they are fantastic so you can't go wrong with any of the reels in this line.
I don't recall the Catala coming in a particularly small size that would suit bass/yellowbelly however? What is the smallest they come in?

Mattman
30-01-2004, 02:16 AM
Thanks fellas
Daintreeboy, i saw that the Catala is about$170 for the smallest model which holds 230yds of 8lb line. I have seen a Calyx in a local tackle store for $147 so i'm not sure if the Calyx is any better.
Any other suggestions however for a good quality baitcaster for bass for under $200 would be welcome as well.

Cheers, Matt

jewies
31-01-2004, 02:23 PM
I have seen catala at big w for $150 that one took 4-8kg